We are living in an interesting time! And the way we look at this viral threat and the consequences of it can make us more susceptible or resilient against whatever illness comes our way. Whether that is the Covid-19, traditional influenza, the common cold, or cancer. Getting caught up in the stress of it all only weakens our immune systems (view stress blog to learn more) so in the words of Andy Griffith to Barney Fife… “simmer down Barn!”
We want to help empower you to have faith over fear during these trying times. In order to do that, one of the things you need on your side is the wisdom to know how to take care of yourself. I outlined how to improve our immune systems in my blog How to Supercharge Your Immunity. I thought it may be helpful to teach you how to use the products that I recommend to prevent and treat these viruses that show up every year.
Products for Immune Health
These are the products that I recommend to help with preventing viruses. (ALWAYS speak with your healthcare provider before beginning any new protocols, supplements, herbs, etc.)
- Mitocor: a multivitamin/mineral/nutrient supplement that assists the body’s immune system. In particular, it contains N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) which increases lymphocyte concentration (this fights viruses) and improves the phagocytic activity of lung macrophages (cells that “eat” germs). Inflammatory activity in the body can also be decreased by taking Mitocor. Take 4 capsules once a day for adults; 2 capsules for children.
- Vitamin D3: typically 2000-5000 iu for adults and 1000-4000 iu for children daily taken with a fat-containing meal. It is important to have blood levels checked every 2-3 months until your levels are stable and at a goal level. 4 capsules of the Mitocor supplement contains 1000 iu of Vitamin D.
- Vitamin C: 500 mg per day. 4 capsules of the Mitocor has 250 mg of Vitamin C in it.
- On Guard: an essential oil blend that kills bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Use 1 drop on your palms in the morning and at night. For children, dilute with coconut oil and use it on their feet. Purchase On Guard here.
- Biocidin: a botanical blend that kills viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Use throat and nasal spray in the morning, evening, and before and after going into public. See below for recipes to make the throat and nasal spray. The throat spray can also be purchased pre-made.
When Illness Hits
This is the protocol I suggest beginning at the first sign of illness. (Again, speak with your healthcare provider before beginning any new protocols, supplements, herbs, etc.)
- Vitamin D3: 100,000 iu once a day for 3 days for adults; 20,000 iu for children.
- Viricid (made up of vitamin A, C, and botanicals for viral infections): 2 capsules every hour for 6-12 hours for adults; children can take 1 capsule every 1 hour (up to 12 doses). The capsule can be opened and mixed in food to help children take it.
- Biocidin: use the throat spray every half hour until better. If sinus symptoms are present, use the nasal spray. Use 1 spray in each nostril every 4 hours until better. If you have a cough, you can add 5 drops of the Biocidin with 3 ml normal saline in a nebulizer to inhale every 4 hours. All of the Biocidin treatments can be used the same way in children as it is in adults.
- Vitamin C: take 500-1000mg 3 times a day—you will know you have reached you or your child’s threshold when stools become loose.
- Sweat: a fever is your body’s way of fighting off infection. Try to avoid fever reducers, if at all possible, so your body can do what it needs to fight for you. If you have a sauna, get in it to help your body sweat it out. Be cautious about high fevers in babies, pregnant women, and people with underlying illnesses.
Above All, Stay Calm
Remember that stress is not helpful for your immune system! This is an unusual time that none of us were expecting. You may have been expected to become a teacher to your children overnight, maybe you lost your income, or being stuck in your home could be negatively affecting your mental health. It is okay to acknowledge these stressors but make sure you are taking care of yourself and finding healthy ways to manage your stress. Refer to my stress blog that is linked above for ideas on how to manage your stress.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
Another important thing to remember is that not all supplements are created equally. There are no strict regulations on making supplements so you need to make sure you are purchasing quality products. If you intend to purchase anything discussed in this post, consider reaching out to Julian Healthcare. We only carry and suggest the highest quality supplements, vitamins, and essential oils. Whether or not you purchase these products from us, please make sure you extensively research the brand you are purchasing to make sure they have the highest standards when it comes to quality.
Please contact us by phone or email us at email@example.com to place an order. We carry a limited supply of products in the clinic so please reach out to make sure we have what you need.
Susan Julian, NP, IFMCP
Throat spray: mix 2 ounces of tap water and 20 drops of Biocidin in a spray bottle.
Nasal spray: purchase a 1-ounce bottle of normal saline nasal spray from the pharmacy (it has to be the kind where the lid can be removed – usually the less expensive store brands) and add 5 drops of Biocidin to the saline mixture.